Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Giant Steps | Let's Ride

Recalling a date with my Dad at HR57 jazz club in Washington DC, during my senior year of Howard. I was taking a class called Blacks in the Arts, and part of the course work was to experience live arts - theater, film, music, dance, etc. - and then write about our experiences. My Dad is a jazz officianado - He knows ALL things jazz - And ALL things Louis Armstrong - his favorite artist ever! During this HR57 Daddy date, the musicians decided to play Giant Steps, by John Coltrane. My Dad was highly impressed, as he later told me that (in his opinion) the mark of a jazz musician's skill level was in their successful ability to master the quick timing of Giant Steps. Every time I hear this song, I listen attentively to each instrument, thoroughly appreciating each musician's mastery of instrumentation.

This animated video is also pretty cool - Digging the shapes, movement & vintage color scale.


And of course, in my love of great music (as I'm sure you've realized by now) I have to post an interpretation of Giant Steps by J. Dilla (Let's Ride by Q. Tip). As I mentioned in my previous "Nothing Like This" post - I absolutely love Dilla's musical mastery of Hip Hop & his stellar contribution to the art form.

No comments: